New American Press is pleased to announce the following open positions. All positions are fully volunteer, fully remote, and open until filled. Maximum weekly contribution for these positions is five hours per week.
We invite applications for fiction editor positions until they are filled.
We will begin scheduling interviews the week of June 26, 2023.
The fiction editors collectively oversee acquisition of all full-length fiction manuscripts for publication at New American Press, in particular selecting strong finalist manuscripts to be considered for the annual New American Fiction Prize.
In this fully remote position, each fiction editor’s duties include:
- Carefully reviewing dozens of story collection and novel manuscripts each year;
- Meeting via Zoom on a regular schedule with fellow fiction editors to discuss the strongest work;
- Maintaining concise reading notes in Submittable;
- Providing final ranking evaluations for the New American Fiction Prize;
- Aiding in the promotion of published titles prior to and following launch.
Competitive candidates for these fiction editor positions will demonstrate a strong creative and/or critical background in literary fiction via writing, publishing, and/or criticism, as well as clear communication skills and a professional demeanor that embraces teamwork and collaborative problem-solving. Weekly commitment is ~5 hours.
Why Should You Apply?
Everyone at New American Press is an unpaid volunteer, and most of us work fewer than five hours per week. We all have day jobs. You should apply anyway. These positions will actively contribute to the editorial vision of a publishing enterprise that is excited to embrace new perspectives, investigate emerging ideas, and discover emerging writers and compelling new work from established writers while building marketable skills and developing their professional networks. Deadline pressure is minimal, and there are already several helpful and passionate editors on staff who love writing, books, art, and ideas. But we especially look forward to meeting you. Should you be invited to interview for a position, we’ll be very interested to talk about how your work at New American can help you achieve your own creative and professional goals.
How Do You Apply?
Use this link to submit a resume or CV, including a full list of your publications and/or relevant professional experience, and a cover letter that briefly describes your background, explains your interest in one of the positions, and addresses the following prompts:
- Describe your participation in the literary community. Have you done editing or administrative work at a journal or small press? Which literary journals, magazines, and/or small presses do you admire? Which lit blogs or other online culture spaces do you visit?
- Describe some books (of any genre) that matter to you. These may be books you’ve read recently or books you read a long time ago. Explain the impact each book had on how you think or what you think matters about literature.
- Use this link to submit your application.
- All positions are unpaid and ask five or fewer hours per week.
- All positions are remote and editors can work anywhere there’s an internet connection.
- We will accept applications until the positions are filled.
- We will begin scheduling interviews on April 17, 2023.
- Send questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fill out the form below to learn more about volunteering with us.